Not for profit training facility Bribie Island – Bribie U3A

By Barry Clark, U3A Public Relations

community training and education queensland bribie island

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Not for profit training. Education Queensland. Bribie Island. Training Facilities. Volunteer Training and Educational.

ANOTHER RECORD YEAR FOR BRIBIE U3A

The Annual General Meeting of Bribie U3A heard President Greg Sibthorpe report on record achievements in the 2017 year in which the 25th Anniversary was celebrated.

Bribie U3A is the largest business on the island, with some 1800 students attending 136 different classes, with the entire operation run by over 100 volunteer Tutors, Receptionists, and Committee members.

Student numbers increased by 20% last year and based on enrolments already this year that number is set to continue growing. Record Enrolment numbers at the start of this year were greatly inconvenienced as the main Hall could not be used, and the efforts of the Committee and patience of students were recognised.

All eight of the purpose-built Classrooms and Computer laboratory are fully utilised five days a week, and consideration is being given to extending the hours to accommodate demand. This will require addition volunteer time from Receptionist and Tutors.

The annual membership fee remains at just $10, but advanced payment for classes has been introduced to reduce administration, improve student commitment and class vacancies. Many larger classes are held in the main Recreation Hall, some at Tutors home, and some sports activities are held elsewhere.

Consideration is being given to the use of other suitable facilities on the island, but this will depend on both the subject and Tutor. President Greg Sibthorpe sincerely thanked the remarkable efforts of all involved at U3A and acknowledged the happy and friendly atmosphere that permeates U3A which was entirely due to the members of the great organisation.

Special thanks were extended to two long-serving, dedicated and hardworking Programme Coordinators, Heather Hughes and Pam Vogler, who was standing down. Most of the current Committee were reelected at the AGM, with Amanda Bronn and Robin Connolly joining Chris Clark as Programme Coordinators.

Greg Sibthorpe will remain as President with Anne Brooks and Margaret Spooner a Vice Presidents, Ian Corin Treasurer, Shona Shergold Assistant Treasurer, Secretary Joan Hamersley, Facilities Barrie Boodle, Reception Coordinator Ailsa Gaffy, Functions Angela Boodle, Technology Support Roger Platt and Barry Clark Publicity. U3A will be closed for holidays until Term 2 commences on Monday 16th April.

Enrolment for all Term 2 classes with vacancies will be held at U3A on Monday 9th April between 9 am and noon.

In Term 2 two special “Insight” presentation which is open to all members and the general public.

On Friday 27th April at 1 pm a revealing look at some of the fascinating “Women of Bribie” by Historical Society President Lynne Hooper.

On Friday 18th May at 1 pm Juri Linins will be “Revisiting the Space” sharing his unique knowledge with special images, models, and memorabilia. To attend these sessions you must register on the notice board at U3A or phone your booking to 3408 1450 during office hours.

Timetables of daily classes can be picked up at the Bribie Library, Visitor Information and Neighbourhood Centre.

If you would like to volunteer for Reception duty or offer to be a Tutor in any subject of your choice, U3A would be pleased to hear from you.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/pre-loved-clothing-bribie-island/

Previous articleCelebrities and Famous People – Prince Charles
Next articleMusic Review – Jessica Mauboy – Australian Singer Songwriter
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.