By Sandy Jensen

spring orchid & foliage show bribie island-5

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

CALLING ALL ORCHID LOVERS!

October brings lots of orchid lovers from far and wide to see the beautiful blooms on display at the Bribie Island Spring Orchid and Foliage Show, proudly sponsored by the Bribie Island Bowl Club, McKenzie Aged Care and Mitre 10. Bribie Island Orchid Society Inc. was founded thirty-two years ago and currently has approximately 90 enthusiastic members from all walks of life, some of whom are beginners with just a few plants, through to those who have been bitten by the ‘orchid bug’ (be warned, they are very addictive) and have collections of several hundred covering numerous genera.

Flowers range from some of the very tiny Species group through to the large showy hybrids. There is always something to catch the eye of just about anyone who visits the Show, including the huge range of Foliage plants which are displayed in the Indoor Bowls Hall. The annual Spring Show has been held at the Orchid House at Bongaree for the previous nine years and in other locations before then and has always attracted orchid enthusiasts from near and far, not only for the display, but to also have the opportunity to purchase plants from the number of vendors who set up at the Show, some from as far away as Sarina and Mackay.

There will also be a cake and craft stall, potting demonstrations and one of our favourites, the sausage sizzle run by the Vietnam Veterans Association. Speaking with President Paul Thomas, Paul is confident that this year’s event will be bigger and better and those who attend will not be disappointed. Secretary, Teresa Watson indicated that Mitre 10 have generously donated a wheelbarrow filled with gardening goodies to be raffled during the twoday show.

“The only way people can get a ticket in that raffle is for them to come along to the Show. We will also be selling tickets in another raffle which has prizes of $150, $100 and $50 Woolworths gift cards, each with an orchid. These tickets will be sold at a number of locations around the island prior to the event, including a sausage sizzle at Mitre 10. A portion of the profit from these raffles will be donated to the Vietnam Vets Association”. The Show will be held at The Orchid House and the Indoor Bowls Hall, Entrance 3, 156A First Avenue, Bongaree on Friday 11th October from 8.30am until 4pm and Saturday 12th October from 8.30am until 2.00pm.

Entrance is $5 per person which includes either morning or afternoon tea. The premises are wheelchair friendly and groups of ten or more will receive a discount on the admission price. The society welcomes new members or anyone who just wants to come along to a meeting or two to see what goes on. For more information about the society itself, those interested should log onto the website www.bribieislandorchidsociety.com.au, our Facebook page which has updates, or give Teresa a call on 0407 782 290.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/business/local-businesses/bribie-local-coining/

Previous articleBRIBIE LOCAL COINING IT IN
Next articleGloss Magazine Bribie Islander 20th Edition September 27th 2019 Issue 97
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.