Bribie Island Wildlife – Crested Tern

By Marj Webber

wildlife native wildlife australian queensland moreton bay bribie island

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Thalasseus bergii. Crested Tern. Birds. Wildlife. Native. Australian. Queensland. Moreton Bay.

Crested Terns are a common sight on Bribie Island and are often seen flying over saltwater areas or roosting on sandy beaches and manmade structures. A good place to observe them in flight is from the Bribie Island Bridge which is a frequent hunting ground. They can also be observed following behind prawn trawlers coming into port. During late Spring and early Summer, many birds leave the island to breed elsewhere.

Thalasseus bergii. Crested Tern. Birds. Wildlife. Native. Australian. Queensland. Moreton Bay.-1
Courting Couple

In Australia Crested Terns sometimes referred to as Greater Crested Terns are second only to Caspian terns in size with a length of 43-48 cm and weighing 275-371g. Blackcaps with tousled crests and yellow bills are prominent features for identification. Caps are less black during the nonbreeding season. Wings are long and pointed and tails are forked. Adults are similar in appearance which changes slightly during the breeding season.

Similar to Crested Terns are Lesser Crested Terns which are smaller with shorter legs and a more orange bill. Crested Terns are found in most coastal areas in Australia, on offshore islands and frequently on inland rivers and lakes as they feed in fresh as well as saltwater. They also inhabit the islands and mainland areas in the Indian Ocean and the coasts of South Africa.

Thalasseus bergii. Crested Tern. Birds. Wildlife. Native. Australian. Queensland. Moreton Bay.-1
Note three in non-breeding plumage

Fish are their main food source, but they will also eat baby turtles, eggs, squid and crabs. They fly 5-15 metres above the water and when with their keen eyesight spot a fish, they dive headlong into the water taking their prey at depths up to a metre. Fish 5-8 cm are grabbed at the back of the head and swallowed in mid-air. Breeding takes place mostly on offshore islands in large colonies with other Tern species and Gulls.

Nests are just a scrape on the sand with no lining and made very close together. During the courting period, the pair appear to dance together, and the male offers the female fish as part of the ritual. Clutches of up to 2 mottled brownish eggs are laid and incubated by both parents for 25-26 days. Both parents care for the young and after a few days, the chicks can leave the nests.

Roosting – Some in breeding plumage

They fledge at about 38-40 days but remain in the care of their parents for about 4 months. Nest sites often change each year with some birds moving up to 200 km to a different site. Many of the eggs are lost to hungry gulls and ibises. The scientific name Thalasseus is derived from the Greek Thalassa which means sea and bergii are named after the scientist Bergius who studied the terns in South Africa.

Crested Terns are widespread and common around Australia with the population remaining stable. The conservation status is secure.

Other Articles

Previous articleThe Bribie WINELANDER
Next articleSunset Pier Cafe – Now Hiring
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.