Little Red Flying Foxes Visit the Sanctuary of Bribie Island

By Christine Wilson

australian wildlife queensland flying foxes (1)

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

A most remarkable phenomenon is happening right now here on Bribie Island. Thousands of the Little Red Flying Foxes have come to enjoy the flowering trees. They are the only flying fox in the world that almost exclusively eats nectar. As many Australian eucalypts and related trees only make pollen at night, the bats are their pollinators as the bees only work in the daytime.

So, without these remarkable creatures and their cousins, the Black, Grey Headed and Spectacled flying foxes pollinating, there would be no koalas and no Australian trees for us to enjoy. With so much devastation at present, please be conscious of the need for these Little Red Bats.

They are migratory so will not stay long. They will be noisy and maybe a little on the nose, but this is a small disturbance for us for a short time for the valuable work they do for us humans and all creatures that need trees. Living in strong family groups they hang together and fly together en masse making highways in the sky at dusk. Something more than remarkable – a gift for us to observe in wonder!

australian wildlife queensland flying foxes (1)Although thought of as a threat to humans, they do not attack. If a bat is sick or injured and on the ground no member of the public should touch it but should call Wildlife Rescue Queensland on 0478 901 801 to assist the bat.

While Little Reds are not regarded as endangered yet, the Australian government lists Grey-headed Flying Foxes as vulnerable. The recent clearing of trees near where the Little Reds are now camping disturbed the Greys and the Blacks, many of which had youngsters depending on them.

They need all the help they can get to raise their families. Look upwards in awe as they fly on the highways of the sky. Look closely at their translucent wings and remember without these bats, no trees, no tree dwellers, negatively impacting on our wellbeing.

Other Articles

[td_block_14 custom_title=”Latest Bribie Islander Editions” category_id=”9544″ limit=”3″ td_ajax_filter_type=”td_category_ids_filter” td_ajax_filter_ids=”13961, 9545, 159, 2182, 2180, 2178, 2176″ td_ajax_preloading=”preload” ajax_pagination=”load_more”]

Previous articleGloss Magazine Bribie Islander March 27th 2020 Issue 110
Next articleHistory – Bribie News 60 years ago
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.