Artists. Artwork. Art. Bribie Island. Queensland. Brisbane

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Artists. Artwork. Art. Bribie Island. Queensland. Brisbane

Photo Credit: Art Prize Photos by Kathrin Dierich

Within both the local and distant art community, the Mathew Flinders Gallery at the Bribie Island Community Art Centre has become incredibly well known for it’s continuous schedule of outstanding exhibitions and, following the official opening which was attended by what was estimated to be more than two hundred art enthusiasts, the gallery’s premier exhibition for 2018 is now on display. The Mathew Flinders Art Prize, now in its twentieth year, always attracts entries by some of the most talented artists from near and far and this year, the gallery walls are taken up with a record-breaking 277 works of art encompassing several mediums.

Featured image(above): Karl De Waal (L) Craig Rohse, Jennifere Thompson, Wyn Vogel and Dennis Foreshaw showing off their awards

On the evening of July 27 and in wonderfully mild conditions for the time of year, those who attended the opening enjoyed drinks and an array of finger food on their arrival and then waited in anticipation to hear the names of the successful artists. Venue Manager Julie Thompson began the proceedings by welcoming all who were there and then paying tribute to the judges, the artists and the many volunteers at the centre who had helped to make the evening possible.

Craig Rohse discussing his Three Wise Veterans with an admirer

Following a few words from judges Wyn Vogel and Karl De Waal, LNP Member for Pumicestone Simone Wilson declared the 2018 Mathew Flinders Art Prize officially open and in doing so, she pointed out that we are fortunate to have such a vibrant art society and she acknowledged the fantastic job that is done by Julie in making art a feature of our community.

At this point, the judges began announcing their decisions. First to be revealed were the names of the four artists whose work had been judged worthy of a commendation and these were Dylan Jones for his work “Seen Better Days,” Jan Singleton for “John West Rejects,” Kym Barrett for “Down to Earth” and Jennifere Thompson for “Bird in Vines.” Next to be recognised were the two winners of the Highly Commended prizes, Dennis Forshaw for “Early Spring” and Graeme Spencer for his acrylic and mixed media work “Pink Formica and Vegemite.”

Sean from Bongaree Dental (R) presernted Craig with his prize

As the time arrived for the announcement of the first and second prize winners. A hush fell over the crowd before judge Wyn Vogel told everyone that Jennifer Pullman’s impressive “Canefields Innisfail” had won the second place prize and Karl De Waal congratulated first place winner Craig Rohse on his rather poignant “Three Wise Veterans.” Guests then proceeded into the gallery and slowly made their way around the walls, admiring the sheer talent on display.

A throng of art enthusiasts filled the gallery following the presentations

As a regular visitor to the Art Centre and in turn, the gallery within, it would be remiss of me not to make the observation that I have never seen the walls so full of inspiring art or have I seen so many people in the Mathew Flinders Gallery at the one time. As I inspected the art on display, I was moved by the obvious inspiration that resulted in the creation of the various pieces and included in these were Kathrin Dierich’s haunting “Both Sides Now and the colourful acrylic and ink works by Terri Vidler who is at the moment preparing for her combined exhibition with Karen Collins at the Treasury Hotel in Brisbane which she tells me begins on August 4 and finishes three days prior to the month’s end.

Judge Karl De Waal remarked that the decisions were not easy

The Mathew Flinders Art Prize exhibition is on display until August 17 and, after having the absolute pleasure of attending the opening and viewing the astounding entries, I can only recommend that anyone who appreciates art takes the time to pay a visit to the Bribie Island Community Art Centre on Sunderland Drive for a wander through the gallery. Next up in the Mathew Flinders Gallery is the Next Generation Art Prize which will feature works by our younger artists. For details, contact the on 3408 9288.

Terri Vidler with two of her paintings for the Treasury Hotel exhibition. – Photo submitted.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/woorim-water-tower-gets-beautified-artwork/

Previous articleThe Bribie Islander Aug 2018 Issue 49
Next articleThe Bribie Island Tennis Club – Anyone for a game?
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.