The Bribie Island Tennis Club – Anyone for a game?

By Neil Wilson - Sub Editor for the Bribie Islander

Bribie Island. Tennis Club.

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Bribie Island. Tennis Club.

Within our island community, we are fortunate to have a wide variety of sporting associations which in turn means that those who wish to can participate in the sport of their choice and one of these sports is the ever popular game of tennis. The Bribie Island Tennis Club courts in Cosmos Park are a popular venue for many locals and club Vice-President/ Tournament Director Greg Beh told me recently that the club now has 144 members.

Featured Image(above): Proud Mixed Doubles winners Terry Keily and Peter Gehrman

‘The club was founded in 1989 and from rather humble beginnings has now grown to become a reasonably strong organisation,’ said Greg. ‘There are six courts and these are used every day of the week as well as by the juniors on Saturday. There is also coaching available each afternoon during the week,’ he explained. During July, the Bribie Tennis Club held it’s annual Club Championship tournament and in perfect weather, five divisions were keenly contested by fifty-two players.

Greg pointed out that the numbers for the tournament were up compared to the previous year and this was very encouraging. He said that some of the players played in three divisions and this meant that they had to play up to eight sets in one day with each match being the best of three sets with the third set (if required) played as a first to seven points tie-breaker.

The winners on the day were presented with a shield that will have their name engraved on it and further awards will be given out at the club’s Christmas party. In the Men’s Singles division, Brendon Clifford took out the award after defeating Greg Ohlson and Robyn Musgrove played a very strong match against Rhiannon Linsen-Perez to win the Ladies Singles title.

Brendon Clifton and Greg Beh were runners-up to Bill Quigley and Peter Marshall in the Men’s Doubles and Heather Van Peperzeel teamed with Terry Keily to win the Ladies Doubles match against Mirella Parsons and Lyn Thistleton. The Mixed Doubles Championship was decided when Terry Keily and Peter Gehrman defeated Lyn Thistleton and Bill Quigley.

Anyone who would like information about the Bribie Island Tennis Club should log-on to the club’s website www.bribieislandtennisclub.com.au for all the necessary details. The club will hold it’s Annual General Meeting at the clubhouse on August 16 and members are asked to consider joining the committee. The meeting will commence at 7 pm and refreshments will be available from 6.30 pm.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/art-prize-talent-display/

Previous articleArt prize – Talent on display
Next articleBusy Fingers – Charity July/August 2018
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.