Mathew Flinders Art Prize – Local Event

By Neil Wilson - Sub Editor for the Bribie Islander

Art Gallery. Bribie Island. Brisbane. Art event. Artists.

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Art Gallery. Bribie Island. Brisbane. Art event. Artists.

HOW MANY WALLS

How many walls are there in one room? Well I reckon that the logical answer to that question is four but, when we refer to the large room that is the Mathew Flinders Art Gallery and then consider that as well as the four perimeter walls, there are a number of mobile walls which are needed to provide extra hanging space, the correct answer becomes, “as many as is needed.”

Featured Image(above): Construction of the new mobile walls is well underway

With the date for the prestigious Mathew Flinders Art Prize fast approaching, organisers are increasing the number of mobile walls in order to cope with the number of entries that are expected. Following the awarding of a grant by Museums and Galleries Queensland which will help to cover the costs and for which the Bribie Island Community Arts Society are very grateful, the Bribie and District Woodcrafters Association (The Woodies) has been commissioned to construct the four extra mobile walls and Art Prize organising committee Chairman Stephanie White said that the additions were essential in order to keep the artwork contained within the gallery.

‘Last year the Mathew Flinders Art Prize attracted an incredible 253 entries and we had to display some of the works in other areas of the centre,’ explained Stephanie. ‘Having another fifty square metres of hanging space will make a huge difference to the exhibition this year and we will be able to display the many artists’ works to their optimum advantage,’ she added.

Stephanie White and Arthur Horsfall getting the measurements correct

The consultation and measuring process is somewhat simplified due to the Woodies being situated within the same precinct as the Bribie Island Community Arts Centre and the job is already well underway. Woodie’s project team leader Arthur Horsfall is working on the challenge of making the walls on wheels so that they match the existing ones which were built when the gallery opened in 1998.

Arthur expects that his carpentry team will have the hollow laminate walls completed and the wheels fitted with time to spare before the MFAP event begins. As the signature event for the Arts Centre, the Mathew Flinders Art Prize offers a $5,000 first prize and $2,000 for second along with two $500 Highly Commended awards and a $500 prize for the People’s Choice.

The Gala opening night and prize presentation will be from 6 pm on July 27th and the exhibition will remain on display until August 17th. Entry forms for the Mathew Flinders Art Prize are available at the Bribie Island Community Arts Centre which is on Sunderland Drive at Banksia and is open from Tuesday through until Sunday.

They are also available on the website www.bribieartscentre.com.au or by sending an email to [email protected] and anyone who would like more information about the Art Prize or the other activities at the centre can call 3408 9288 for details.

Other articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/dragons-abreast-bribie-island-breast-cancer-group/

Previous articleHealth – Lymphatics and well being.
Next articleMicrolight aircraft club – Caboolture Airfield.
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.