Meet the Volunteers – DI CARR

By Neil Wilson - Sub Editor for the Bribie Islander

BRIBIE ISLAND COMMUNITY ARTS CENTRE. Volunteers. 

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: BRIBIE ISLAND COMMUNITY ARTS CENTRE. Volunteers.

As is the case with many of the organisations within our community, the Bribie Island Community Arts Centre continues to operate so well mainly because of the selfless commitment of its volunteers and all of those dedicated people deserve recognition for their efforts. Over the coming months, The Mini Bribie Islander will endeavour to provide a small amount of recognition for those volunteers through this regular feature and in this issue, we take a look at the valuable contribution that is continually being made by a thirteen-year volunteer, Di Carr.

Di and her husband Allan moved to our beautiful island from Townsville fourteen years ago in order to take care of Di’s parents in their later years and prior to their relocation, Di had been employed as a special education teacher. She explained that when she first became involved at the centre in 2005, it was as a committee member. ‘The role that I had then was nowhere near what I do now,’ said Di.

Over the years I have become a lot more involved and now, as well as being a reception desk supervisor, I am responsible for organising the volunteer roster and also assisting Venue Manager Julie Thompson with the training of new volunteers,’ she told me. Whilst Di openly admits that she is lacking in any artistic skills and is barely capable of even drawing a stick figure, she did tell me about her hobby of button collecting. ‘On occasion, I have made some button jewellery but because I am usually so busy, I haven’t had a chance to do that lately,’ she said.

BRIBIE ISLAND COMMUNITY ARTS CENTRE. Volunteers. 

When describing what motivates her to devote her time to her volunteer work at the Arts Centre, Di said that as well as the enjoyment that she gets when working with the great team of volunteers, she really enjoys the social aspect that is associated with being able to help those who visit the centre. ‘Being a volunteer at the centre allows me to be involved and assist at important exhibition openings and other events,’ Di pointed out. ‘Everyone is looking forward to the thirtieth -anniversary celebrations in December and this is a fabulous opportunity for all volunteers to become involved,’ she said.

The Bribie Island Community Arts Centre are not only a venue for talented people to display (and sell) their works in the galleries, it also offers the availability of several studios which can be used by those groups that are in need of somewhere to either hold their meetings or practice their artistic skills. Visitors to the centre have the opportunity to purchase from a selection of beautifully crafted items at the gift shop or perhaps one of the works on display in the Mathew Flinders Gallery.

As is understandable when one thinks about the diverse range operations at the centre, there is always a need for more volunteers and anyone who would like to find out more about volunteering, or just about what the Arts Centre has to offer, should either visit the centre at 191 Sunderland Drive at Banksia Beach or make a call to 3408 9288.

Other Articles

ROTARY DOES SO MUCH MORE THAN SAUSAGE SIZZLES

Previous articleReasons for grey hair
Next articleBRIBIE SIMPLY HEALTHY-Boswellia Complex – Oct/Nov 2018
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.