Waterspout spotted off Deception Bay

By Timothy Allsworth

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Waterspout. Tornado. Deception Bay. Moreton Bay. Queensland

A water spout was spotted off the Deception Bay coastline yesterday morning (Thursday – 10/01/2019).  It only lasted a short time and didn’t come ashore.  The video was taken by a local resident.

Waterspout over Deception Bay, 10-1-19

Check out this footage of a waterspout over Deception Bay, QLD this morning just after 10am AEST. The waterspout only lasted a short period of time and didnt come ashore.

Images at the start and end sent in via Amanda Franklin, video 1 via Jill and video 2 via Claire (surnames protected) ~Thomas~

Posted by Higgins Storm Chasing on Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Video supplied with permission by Higgins Storm Chasing

waterspout deception bay sandstone point-2

Taken at sandstone point beach

Waterspouts are caused by different weather and atmospheric dynamics.  They are generally mild in wind speed with wind speeds of around 60km – 120km per hour.  They can cause damage to structures and property if they cross over land.  Generally, they are not classed as tornadoes.  Tornadoes are land-based and are more severe than waterspouts.

Waterspouts can occur anywhere in the world in the right conditions.  They are common along the eastern seaboard of Australia in turbulent weather conditions.  They are generally shortlived and cause minimal damage.

Tornadic Waterspouts are land-based tornadoes that cross over onto water and can be stronger than a regular waterspout.  many waterspouts are not restricted to salt water and are commonly seen throughout the world on large bodies of water, such as lakes and seas.

It is recommended to stay a safe distance from these phenomena, as they can cause considerable damage to aircraft, watercraft and marine life.  Incidences of severe damage are rare but on occasion have caused deaths and considerable damage to property such as the historic tornado Grand Harbour of Malta Tornado.

For more information visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout

Previous articleWhite Light Psychic Expo opens at 9:00 am Saturday
Next articleTENNIS STARS OF THE FUTURE
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.