The Bribie Island Boating Club’s Classic Boat Regatta

Neil Wilson - Sub Editor for the Bribie Islander

Boating Club. Bribie Island. Events. Brisbane. Queensland. Regatta.

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Boating Club. Bribie Island. Events. Brisbane. Queensland. Regatta.

TWENTY CLASSIC YEARS

On the weekend of May 19th and 20th, our beautiful island will become host to classic boating enthusiasts from near and far when they arrive here for what is regarded as one of the premier events on the country’s boating calendar, the Bribie Island Boating Club’s Classic Boat Regatta.

The regatta has earned the reputation of being a really well-organised event which has always been well attended in previous years and Bribie Island Boating Club CEO Doug Wilson is expecting the weekend to be even better than in the past. ‘The 2018 Regatta marks twenty years that the event has been held and going on the registrations that I have received so far, there will be more boats than ever before and this will include some large cruisers,’ said Doug.

Featured Image(above): The fleet will assemble in Pumicestone Passage

‘As well as the increased number of boats, there will be added attractions in attendance at the public part of the weekend on the Sunday,’ he told me. Whilst the Classic Boat Regatta actually gets underway on Saturday morning, as in previous years, those participating will get together on Friday evening at the Bribie Island Hotel when they will receive their “Showbags” containing all the necessary details of the weekend’s proceedings.

Boats will cruise the canals on Sunday from 9 am

As well as the required information, the bags will contain other “goodies” which are a part of the generous sponsorship package provided by Nautilus Marine Insurance who have supported the event for many years and also provide the participation plaques that are presented for each boat. After a BBQ breakfast at the Spinnaker Sound Marina which is provided by the local Vietnam Veterans Association, the boats will launch and assemble in Pumicestone Passage before a cruise up to Toorbul where the Boating Club will provide all concerned with a sumptuous lunch on the beach.

Lined up at Sylvan Beach for the public to inspect

‘We are able to put on the lunch because of the generous funding by Moreton Bay Regional Council Division One Councillor Brooke Savige,’ Doug explained. As well as paying for the lunch, this funding also goes a long way to helping us with the costs of organisation and promotion,’ he added. Doug also said that Moreton Bay Regional Tourism has become a sponsor for the event. In the afternoon, the fleet will proceed back to the Pacific Harbour Marina where afternoon tea will be provided through the courtesy of the Vietnam Veterans Association. From approximately 3.30 pm until 5 pm, members of the public will be given the opportunity to view the boats whilst they are berthed at the Marina.

Overnight berthing facilities at the Pacific Harbour Star Marina are provided free of charge by the marina and, for those boat owners who wish to extend their stay, berthing is charged at a nominal rate. On Saturday evening, the Bribie Island Hotel will be the venue for the annual Regatta Dinner where awards will be presented along with participants having the chance to catch up with old friends. Sunday activities will begin with some of the boats cruising around the Dux Creek section of the Pacific Harbour canals before the entire fleet assembles at Sylvan Beach by 11 am, some on the beach and of course the larger vessels will be moored offshore.

The public will be able to once again view the boats as well as enjoy the range of activities that will be there. Entertainment will be provided by the very popular Mullet Gut String Band, the Vietnam Veterans will be operating their food stall, boating enthusiasts will be able to inspect the products sold by Boatcraft Pacific who will have their goods on display and there will be an ice cream vendor in attendance.

There will be some larger cruisers in the Regatta

Various boating activities will take place from 12.15 pm until the Grand Parade at 2 pm and these will include a classic sail event, a demonstration by the Bribie Island Mahalo Outrigger Canoe Club along with Dragons Abreast and a Bribie Island Surf Club boat, a Classic motorboat event and a rowing boat race.

The Sunday events have been very well attended by the public each year and when I was fortunate enough to be there in 2017, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed being able to chat with some of the boat owners and inspect the beautifully constructed vessels, both large and small. I would highly recommend a visit to Sylvan Beach on Sunday, May 20th for a chance to enjoy the activities associated with the celebration of the twentieth Bribie Classic Boat Regatta.

Anyone who would like more information about the Bribie Classic Boat Regatta should call the Bribie Island Boat Club on 0490 471 930.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/bribie-island-boating-sailing-club/

https://thebribieislander.com.au/matthew-flinders-art-gallery-bribie-island/

Previous articleLest We Forget – Snapshots from ANZAC DAY
Next articleCommunity Choir – The Sandstone Point Carols
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.