Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Lawn Bowls. Bowling. Bribie Island. Sports

SPORT OF AUGUST: BOWLS

BRIBIE ISLAND BOWLS CLUB

Every Saturday of every July and August, the State Pennant bowls competition occurs. Teams in each district play each other, and over time winners move up through the zone finals to the state finals, which are to be held in early November.

This is a great example of how bowls can be a team sport, with many clubs bringing along a cheer squad as they travel each week. Bribie bowls are fielding teams in every division of the men’s competition Pennant Divisions One through Five, and our ladies are competing in Division One and Division Four.

We have a proud history of competing in Pennants, with many district and even some state flags hanging from previous wins. Bribie had a fantastic time, winning the day. Everyone was a bit worried for a while after the winds during the week, a little afraid that they were in for some extreme bowls.

DID YOU KNOW?

1.) Lawn bowls are one of the most popular adult games on earth.

It has been said that there are more registered lawn bowlers in Australia than any other sport. It’s unclear how this is reflected in other parts of the world, but it’s likely close in the UK and is without a doubt growing rapidly elsewhere.

2.) A bowls green is typically 37 – 40 meters square and perfectly flat.

The green is divided into rinks, which are not less than 5.5 meters or more than 5.8 meters wide, enabling several games to be played at the same time. 3.) Lawn Bowls is played from a mat which is 600mm long and 360mm wide. One foot must be on the mat when a player delivers the bowl.

4.) There are currently in excess of 250,000 registered lawn bowls members in Australia. The increase in popularity of social bowls has seen the number of participants increase to 500,000+ nationwide.

5.) Bowls is a game that involves an offensive and defensive strategy to play. There’s also the added challenge that the jack is movable and can be displaced anywhere on the rink by a delivered bowl.

The photos featured are the Bribie Lawn Bowls Division 5 men playing against Glass House Mountains.

sports lawn bowls sportslawn bowls

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/local-events-medieval-festival/

https://thebribieislander.com.au/the-sensory-movie-day-group-aspergers-autism/

Previous articleCHOC CHIP OAT COOKIES
Next articleFishing – South East Queensland and Moreton bay
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.