By The Mini Bribie Islander - Gloss magazine

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Greek. Greece. Celebration Opa.

OPA! Celebrating all things Greek

According to a Greek friend of mine, Opa is an untranslatable Greek word that has many meanings. It may be used as an ‘Exclamation’, or ‘Utterance’, or ‘Declaration’, or ‘Affirmation’. It is a way of saying “don’t worry” … no matter what has happened you are still alive, … “don’t be harsh on yourself,” there’s another minute and another day ahead of you to right what’s wrong, … and we are here together to make sure of this. …( So, as an example when someone accidentally drops and breaks something, no matter how valuable, we yell: Oooooopa !!! … kind of “It’s ok,” … everything can be mended if your mind is healthy and still open to music, dance, mezedes, and wine !!) And in that spirit, everyone is invited to kick up their heels at the Bribie OPA! 2018 Greek Festival on Sunday, July 1.

The event is held at Third Avenue Woorim and runs from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm and entry is by a gold coin donation. According to event organisers, there is something for everyone. Experience traditional handmade Greek cuisine, Indulge in mouthwatering freshly made Greek sweets. Kick your heels to the live Greek music, including Zorba, played by Greek band ‘Melodia’. Watch authentic traditional Greek dancing from different regions of Greece Swing your hips to the sounds of ‘Elvis Parsley’. Try wine samples from KOMINOS Wines. Watch Greek Cooking demonstrations.

Enjoy Greek coffee and traditional sweets in our ‘Kafenea’ (traditional coffee houses) Bribie is a sand island, so organisers will also be creating a unique sand sculpture during the event You can treat your kids to the children’s fun zone.

The organisers have put on free shuttle buses every half hour from 11 am till 5 pm from the Park’n’Ride behind Woolworths, Cnr Victory Rd & Bongaree Av, Bribie Island, or the Carpark at Bribie Island Recreation Hall, 156 First Ave, Bongaree if you can’t find parking close enough Also….Where else in the world could you see a Greek church on an island ?!!!! This is as close as it gets to a traditional Greek village Paniyiri if you haven’t been there. It’s a fun-filled day for all the family. YouTube vision of event https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7wk4DjIn50 OPA!

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/vibe-community-markets/

Previous articleEntertainers, Singer and Songwriters – Col Shields
Next articleDragons Abreast Bribie Island raffle
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.