Dog off lead parks – Pet Care

By Yvonne Bishop

dog parks pet care and advice Ticks treatment

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Dog off lead parks. Pets. Dog Parks Bribie Island. Pet Care.

DOG PARKS – PART 1

Dog off lead parks can be a wonderful, positive experience for dogs and owners or it can be a very stressful environment.

First of all, there are Council rules in using these parks such as declared dangerous and restrictive breeds are not allowed in. Dogs must be registered. You must pick up after your dogs and can be fined if caught not doing so.

Most important is that the dog must not attack or worry a person or animal. What does the last sentence mean? When dogs get together and if they meet socially on a regular basis a pack mentality is formed.

If a new dog arrives the others may gang up on it. Even “friendly” dogs can bully a new arrival. Bullying can have different actions such as chasing the dog or pushing it around with its body.

Standing over the dog or growling. The new dog may act frightened by running away with its tail between its leg and trying to get to its owner. The dog may cower or try to fight back. Many dog attacks do occur in these parks and one other reason is they are usually too small in size.

Ideal design for parks are large and of irregular shape with trees or obstacles to hide. This helps shy, nervous dogs and prevents eye contact with one another. What should you do? If you are going for the first time, observe the dogs that are in there. Are they playing nicely or is one of them being pushy and intimidating others?

Observe your own dog is he hanging back or does he look like he can’t wait to get in there. If he hangs back, respect him and maybe go for a walk and wait for the others to leave before entering. Once you go in, shut the gate and immediately remove the lead.

There is nothing more frightening for a dog to be on a lead and other dogs approach to check him out.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/taking-pets-on-overseas-holiday/

Previous articleArts and Crafts Club
Next articlePet care – Ego is not a dirty word
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.