CHOC-tober A Mega Month for Bribie Rotary – Monthly Events

Anne Matthews, PR Director Bribie Rotary

bribie island rotary club charities (2)

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Talk about action. Talk about drama and costumes. Talk about fun and games. Talk about gourmet activities. October is going to be chock-a-block with all of these types of activities for Bribie Rotary.

In Choc-tober we have:

• Monthly Market on 13 October;
  • Trivia Night on 24 October, which coincides with World Polio Day;
  • High Tea for World Polio Day on the morning of 24 October;
  • Webinar on Polio and Post-Polio Syndrome on 25 October.

bribie island rotary club charities (2)Lift the Lid on Mental Illness

It is a National mental health fundraising and awareness initiative of Australian Rotary Health. The initiative aims to raise funds for mental health research and ultimately improve the lives of all Australians. One in five Australians will experience a mental illness every year, and nearly half of the population (45%) will experience a mental illness at some stage in their lives.

You can support the campaign by donating throughout October, or by holding a fundraiser on Thursday 10 October 2019, which is World Mental Health Day. Get involved and celebrate this day by holding an event and wearing an eye-catching hat. Perhaps a morning or afternoon tea and collect a donation from attendees. Then give the money to one of our members who will ensure it is directed to this campaign.

“Don’t forget, 100% of your donation goes to research into helping those who suffer from depression, anxiety, substance abuse, self-harm, suicide and other mental illnesses every year.”

Monthly Markets.

Our very popular markets will be on Sunday 13 October at Brennan Park, Bongaree. Come and meet our fun-loving team and try one of our sausage sandwiches or our famous egg and bacon rolls – with onion if you like. Also, great bargains to be found in the numerous market stalls. You never know, you might even find some psy-CHOC-hemicals to help with any ailments!

Trivia on World Polio Day

Readers will no doubt recall my article in issue 82 which went out on the 1st March 2019 Edition of The Bribie Islander about our legendary Bribie Rotary Trivia Nights. The next ‘not to be missed’ trivia night will be at Pacific Harbour Golf and Country Club (PHGCC) on Thursday 24 October 2019 at 7.00pm.

Proceeds from the night will go to Rotary’s End Polio Campaign. Dinner is available in The Deck Restaurant from 5.30pm. Please ring the restaurant on 3410 4024 to book for dinner – this is essential if you want to ensure making the start of the trivia contest. The event is registered as a World’s Greatest Meal to End Polio and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will add $2 for every $1 we raise. It is a fun night and almost everyone wins a CHOColate bar!

bribie island rotary club charities (2)bribie island rotary club charities (2)

World Polio Day High Tea

A very special High Morning Tea will be held between 10 am and 12 noon at the Bribie Island Hotel located at 29 Sylvan Esplanade, Bellara on Thursday 24 October 2019. Special guest is Susanne Rea OAM, cofounder of World’s Greatest Meal (WGM) to End Polio. Also attending are Nauman Abbasi from WGM, Karin Kolenko and Gold Coast Benji. There will be special raffles and If you’ve never High-Tea’d it before make this your first. If you watch Downton Abbey – see above – you will learn some of the finer points of a high tea, such as how to hold your little finger whilst drinking from a teacup! And remember the Japanese proverb; “A bath refreshes the body… Tea refreshes the mind.”

Webinar on Polio

This special web-based seminar will be held on Friday 25th October. The seminar will connect World experts on Polio and Post- Polio Syndrome. For details please contact Bill Peacock on 0403 686 998. If you would like to book in for the movie or Trivia night… Please ring or email Heather White on 5497 5818 or [email protected] to book your spot. If you would like a stall at the markets please ring Gillian on 0406 373 218. For information on our End Polio High Tea and Webinar, please ring Bill Peacock on 0403 686 998 or your humble scribe on 0409 244 005.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/community/rotary/polio-prevention-perils-bribie-rotary/

Previous articleNINE MORE HOURS
Next articleWeather – Heavy Rain & Possible Severe Thunderstorms Possible Today & Tomorrow 11/10/2019
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.