Fund Raiser – ENSURING INCLUSIVENESS AND EQUALITY

By Neil Wilson - Sub Editor for the Bribie Islander

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

In 1992, the United Nations General Assembly sanctioned December 3rd as International Day of People with a Disability and proclaimed the day as a means of increasing public awareness, understanding and acceptance in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life. Each year, the day has a specific theme and is celebrated throughout the world with a variety of events.

The theme for 2018 is “Empowering People with Disabilities and Ensuring Inclusiveness and Equality” and on Monday 3rd December, that theme will come to life at the Bribie Island Rotary and Spinal Life Afternoon Tea at the Pacific Harbour Golf and Country Club when those who attend will be treated to a Fashion Parade for all Abilities. As well as the fashion parade, there will be art and craft auctions and I’m told that the art auction will include a number of unique pieces and feature Paul Constable Calcutt.

Many local businesses have generously donated items for the auction and Spinal Life member Sue Ellen has made and donated some beautiful craft items. Entertainment for the afternoon will be provided by local well-known artist, Shane Kells who in the past has dedicated many hours to community work as an entertainer, raising money for worthy causes.

Shane, aka Kellsy, has recently been touring with Phil Emmanuel and Strangebrew in the “Back to Basics” tour and he reckons if there is one thing that he has learned over his years of performing, it is that you have to be adaptable. He describes his one-man show as being suitable for all ages, including soft songs for older folk as well as blues, rock and roll and even a bit of heavy rock Spinal Life Australia Bribie Island Network Community Connector Bill Peacock told me that all proceeds from the event will go to Rotary’s “World’s Greatest Meal to End Polio Now”.

‘We are hoping that this event will raise much-needed funds,’ said Bill. ‘In light of the polio outbreak in PNG, we have to be extra vigilant as it is only a plane trip away,’ he added. Anyone wishing to attend this special event which commences at 2 pm can purchase tickets ($35.00 each) now by depositing payment into the Rotary Club of Bribie Island account at the Bank of Queensland. BSB 124390 – account number 20314486 and using their name as a reference. Please send an advice of your purchase to [email protected].

Other Articles

Ray of Hope South East Queensland

Previous articleBribie Vibe Market – November 25th
Next articleBribie Island Community Arts Centre at Banksia Beach – 30 YEARS OF AWESOME
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.