The Matthew Flinders Art Gallery – Bribie Island

By Neil Wilson - Sub Editor for the Bribie Islander

Art Gallery. Bribie Island. Artists. Brisbane. Queensland. Artwork.

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: Art Gallery. Bribie Island. Artists. Brisbane. Queensland. Artwork.

SCRATCHING BUT NOT ITCHY

I remember having a conversation late last year with someone who pointed out that the next twelve months were going to be a very busy time at the Mathew Flinders Art Gallery and when considering the events of recent months, they were right.

From the beginning of this year, there has been a constant run of really great displays exhibited in the gallery and this continues with the current exhibition by four artists from the Contemporary Art Practices Group. The exhibition, which is entitled “Scratch the Surface” and will be on display at the gallery until May 13th, features the works of Cheryl Mortimer, Deidre Nelson, Helen Hall and John Stegeman.

The group of dedicated contemporary artists explained to me that the exhibition is the result of more than twelve months work and a lot of planning and is based on the principle of what can be discovered below the surface. ‘Sometimes you just need to scratch the surface to expose what lies beneath or delve deeper into an issue,’ said Cheryl. ‘On the other hand, it might just be for the pure joy of the scratch,’ she added.

The Mathew Flinders Art Gallery is located within the Bribie Island Community Arts Centre which is on Sunderland Drive at Banksia Beach and is open each day other than Mondays from 10 am.

For more information about any of the activities at the arts centre, either call them on 07 3408 9288 or drop in for a chat with one of the dedicated volunteers who keep the centre operating.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/vibe-markets-arts-and-crafts-bribie-island/

https://thebribieislander.com.au/local-mural-artist-paints-water-tower/

Previous articleLocal entertainer and music teacher Mary Anne Cannon gives recipient award
Next articleWOORIM ANZAC TRADITION CONTINUES
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.