National Volunteer Week

By Neil Wilson - Sub Editor for the Bribie Islander

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

WELL DESERVED RECOGNITION

I have said so many times in the past that I will never cease to be amazed at the number of selfless people who are always there to offer their help when it is needed and, at the culmination of National Volunteer Week which was from May 21st to 27th, some of our volunteers from across the region received recognition for their dedication at the 2018 Longman Awards.

Several volunteers from the Bribie area received nominations and they were Bev Porter from the Community Arts Centre, Jonathan Wood from St Vincent De Paul, John Ward from the Wallum Action Group, Cassandra Lord from Bribie Island State School, Jacob and Jessenia Hernandez from the Tigers Soccer Club, Greg Rollason from Sandstone Point Lions, Kevin Williams from Bribie Island Lions Club, Ann Ward from the Wallum Action Group, Dani Milward from the Maritime Safety Military Cadets along with Michael and Rozlynn Bierton, also from the Military Cadets.

After enjoying some tasty pre-event nibblies which were provided by members of the Country Women’s Association, nominees gathered for the ceremony where the winners of each of the ten categories were announced from the fifty-two nominees. Categories included Arts and Cultural, Animal Welfare, Education, Environment and Sporting as well as Lifetime, Health and Aged Care, Youth, Senior and Charity and Community. The winner of the 2018 Longman Volunteer of the Year was announced as Dorothy Bauer who had been judged as the successful nominee in the Charity and Community section for her work with St Laurence Anglican Church.

The awards were made possible by the support of a number of generous sponsors including Caboolture Sports Club, Australia Zoo, Abbey Museum, Caboolture Warplane Museum and CUA along with BCC Cinemas, Mark Ryan MP, Shane King MP, Custom Claws and Worldwide Print. Whilst the recognition of these tireless workers within our communities is welcomed, we must always remember that there are so many others who donate their time, efforts and often money to help those who are in need of support.

To all the volunteers – Thank You.

Other Articles

https://thebribieislander.com.au/not-profit-training-facility-bribie-island-bribie-u3a/

Previous articleBanksia Beach Garden Club’s 2018 Friendship Day
Next articleTHE GREAT WORK OF ROTARY
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.