International Womens Day – WHERE THERE IS TEA THERE IS HOPE!

By Anne Matthews PR Director Bribie Rotary

Array
(
    [top dis] => 
    [bottom dis] => 
)

Tags: International Women’s Day events. Bribie Island. Rotary. Queensland

The Rotary Club of Bribie Island and Pacific Harbour Golf and Country Club (PHGCC) will hold their fifth annual High Tea to celebrate International Women’s Day on Saturday 9 March 2019 at 1.45pm. Champagne and soft drinks will be provided on arrival, followed by the delicious High Tea served with tea or coffee – it’s always time for tea! The cost is $45 with all proceeds going to Interplast.

Featured Image(above): Rotarians Anne Matthews and June Sturges sampling some High Tea goodies

Interplast is a small charitable organisation that was started in 1983 by Rotary in conjunction with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Interplast sends teams of volunteer plastic and reconstructive surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses and allied health professionals to provide life-changing surgery and medical training to 17 countries across the Asia Pacific region.

Our Club member, Rae Guyder, is Rotary District Chair of Interplast. The charity continues to be strongly supported by Rotarians in clubs and districts throughout Australia and New Zealand. The inaugural High Tea was held on Sunday 8 March 2015 and the event has grown and become very popular since then. That first year we raised $2,000 for our now world famous project, the cervical cancer vaccination of 28,000 girls in PNG. Our guest speaker is Lyntara (Tara) Quirke.

Tara is a recognised expert on dementia and aged care. In July 2018, Tara presented a paper at the Alzheimer’s Disease International (ADI) conferences in Chicago USA. Then in August, she presented at the International Federation on Ageing (IFA) conference, “Toward a Decade of Healthy Ageing: From Evidence to Action”, held in Toronto Canada. Tara is extremely knowledgable on healthy ageing, age-friendly environments and ageism – issues that are so relevant to Bribie’s population.

Members of the Bribie Island Gleeman will provide a musical segment – they are threatening to perform politically incorrect numbers such as Queen’s “Fat Bottomed Girls.” But hey, we will just tell them “Fat bottomed girls make the rockin’ world go ‘round.’ Also, Shane Kells hopes to be available to provide music for a bit of dancing. Bribie Rotary are very grateful for these talented residents who provide their entertainment free of charge for our worthy causes.

International Women's Day events. Bribie Island. Rotary. QueenslandInternational Women's Day events. Bribie Island. Rotary. Queensland

The International Women’s Day Campaign theme for 2019 is #BalanceforBetter. This theme is calling for a more gender-balanced world – better the balance, better the world. In keeping with this theme of equality, this year men are very welcome to attend the High Tea. Throughout literature “tea” is such an important part of the lives of many wonderful characters. From the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party in ‘Alice in Wonderland’ to Arthur Dent, the hapless ape-descendent from Earth in ‘Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’ who, finding himself thrown into wild adventures around the Universe with Ford Prefect, immediately asked, “Is there any tea on this spaceship?” And as Peter Pan said to the Wendy “would you like an adventure now or shall we have tea first?”

If you join us on Saturday, 9 March 2019 at PHGCC you won’t have to make a choice between tea or adventure. Your tea will be provided, and you can have your adventure by dancing, singing and learning some important information whilst enjoying your tea. Please ring Reception at PHGCC on 3410 4001 to book your ticket.

Previous articleMy Story – I REMEMBER SAMMY
Next articleVALE DR JOHN SINCLAIR AO
A highly successful sales and leadership career working in a number of different and very competitive industries. Engaging with decision makers at all levels in business and government. Three decades employed by corporations, SME businesses in senior roles and almost twelve years operating as a freelance contractor has equipped me well for all aspects of business. Whether leading and mentoring sales teams, or in a direct sales role I enjoy the challenge to meet and exceed expectations. Making a real and tangible difference in either a team environment or as an individual is an important personal goal I have consistently achieved throughout my career. In all of my business and personal dealings over the years there is one issue that stands out above all others - communication. Excellent communication skills creates trust, helps with mutually beneficial outcomes and above all cements long lasting positive relationships. I strive everyday to communicate effectively with the people I encounter.